SatelliteLab: Windows installation
- Download the satellite installer.
- Double-click on the installer icon. A dialog box will open that asks you to
choose an installation folder (the default should be fine in most cases).
- Click on 'Next' to proceed. The installer now prompts you for a Start Menu folder.
Again, the default should be fine in most cases.
- Click on 'Install'. The installer will copy some files to your machine and then display the following dialog:
- Click on 'Close'. The installer now automatically starts the satellite software. If this is the
first time you install SatelliteLab, you will be asked to enter an email address and an
identifier for your machine. The email address is necessary so we can contact you in case
there is a problem with your satellite. The identifier should describe the machine;
for example, 'desktop' or 'laptop' would be good identifiers.
- After you have entered en email address and an identifier, click on 'OK'. This
completes the installation. The satellite is now active and will restart automatically
whenever you log in. When the satellite is running, you will see a small planet icon
in the system tray.
- If you want to contribute to the global testbed, the installation is now complete.
However, if you have been asked to contribute to a specific experiment, you
should have been given a specific host address and port number to use. In this case,
please right-click on the planet icon in the system tray and choose 'Settings'. The
following dialog box will appear:
Please replace the values for 'Controller' and 'Port' with the host address and the port number you have
been given, then click 'OK'.
Questions and answers
Q: Is there a way to stop the satellite temporarily, e.g., when I need the full capacity of my access link?
A: Yes. Right-click the SatelliteLab icon in the system tray, and
remove the checkbox at 'Enable satellite'. In this state, the satellite
does not send any messages to the testbed. Note that it can take a few seconds
until the testbed detects that your satellite is offline; during that time,
you may still receive some messages from the testbed.
Q: How do I uninstall the satellite?
A: The installer should have created a 'SatelliteLab' folder in
your start menu. Open that folder and click on 'Uninstall SatelliteLab'.
After the uninstaller has finished, please reboot your machine.
Q: Why do I have to enter an email address?
A: This is necessary so that the testbed maintainers know how
to contact you if there should be a problem with your satellite.
The testbed also uses the email address to disambiguate between
satellites with the same identifier, e.g., when multiple contributors
have called their satellite 'laptop' or 'desktop'.